Saturday, July 13, 2013

Growing with Galatians Daily Devotion



And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise. (Galatians 3:29, ESV)

Have you ever inherited anything? A little money? A piece of furniture? A car, perhaps? How did it make you feel? My inheritance left me feeling...well...ambivalent. I inherited amongst other things a particular desk from my mother. She called the desk a 'secretary.' On the one hand, I'm glad I received it. It's a beautiful piece of furniture. On the other hand, I'm sad because I received it after her death. "For a will takes effect only at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive" (Hebrews 9:17, ESV).


Inheriting comes with mixed feelings. Another inheritance I have received came from God. Jesus wrote me into His last will and testament. He named you, too. Because Jesus died, I am an heir and so are you. I inherit the promises God made to Abraham for the same reason. You do, too. Am I glad I will inherit the promises of God? You bet I am and I bet you are, too. Am I sad Jesus had to die for me to inherit those promises? I am and I expect you are, too. Inheriting is both happy and sad.

My actions toward my inheritance are complex, too. The little bit of money I inherited I spent much more carefully than any money I earned myself. Why? I take special care of the desk I inherited, too. Why? Inherited money spends exactly the same as earned money. An inherited desk does not require more care than a store bought desk. Atom for atom, inherited money and furniture are identical to all other money and other furniture. But in my heart, they are very different and deserve different treatment. The English language has a beautiful word to connote the special status of things inherited: heirloom. Heirlooms are more than mere atoms. My heirloom desk is an imperfect reflection of my mother. I remember her whenever I walk past it. Seeing it, I glimpse her out of the corner of my eye, sitting at her desk writing. I see her "through a glass darkly" (1 Corinthians 13:12, KJV)

What heirlooms have you received from Jesus Christ? Your Bible is an heirloom left to you by Jesus. Your baptism, too. The Lord's Supper as well. Even more: every human being you have ever met, every breath you have ever taken, every drop of love you have ever felt, and every joy in all creation are heirlooms left to you in the last will and testament of Jesus Christ. Look for some heirlooms today!

No comments:

Post a Comment