Saturday, August 10, 2013

In Step

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit (Galatians 5:25)

When I was a boy, I played various instruments in a marching band (euphonium, trumpet, snare, bass, and glockenspiel). I was a decent musician, but a poor marcher. I was always falling out of set. Two left feet. The quickest way to get back in step was to skip. However, as an adolescent boy, the mere thought of skipping in public mortified me. What would people think if they saw me skipping? I had this choice: look goofy skipping or look goofy by being out of step. I decided being out of step was worse. So I skipped. Exactly no one noticed. All my worrying about what people would think was unnecessary. I was back in step and no one even noticed.

I often wonder how people stay out of step with God because they are afraid of what other would think? Don't be afraid. Follow your heart. Skip into church next week. You have my permission!

No comments:

Post a Comment